Our Car Accident Lawyers in Burnsville Help You Get Compensation
When you are involved in a car crash in Minnesota, the effects can be traumatic and life-changing, resulting in major property damage, devastating injuries, and even death. Survivors may be left suffering and in pain as they struggle to recover from their injuries, while medical and household bills mount up at a time they cannot work.
If you or a family member has been injured or someone has died in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through insurance or a lawsuit. However, Minnesota laws are complicated, making mistakes can be costly, and insurance companies and their lawyers will attempt to deny claims or get you to settle for the lowest amount possible. Making mistakes can cost you the compensation you need, so you should not try to go it alone.
Fortunately, there is help available from the Tyroler Leonard Injury Law firm. Attorney Isaac Tyroler and Rachel Sperling Leonard believe that clients come first, and they will spend the time necessary to make you feel comfortable and achieve the best results possible. They are skilled litigators, and many of their clients are referred by other attorneys who trust them to represent the people who have come to them for help in court.
At Tyroler Leonard Injury Law, we work entirely on contingency fees, meaning you will not pay any fees unless and until we are able to recover money for you. Consultations are free, so let us take the burden off you by handling all investigations, negotiations and legal requirements so you can concentrate on your recovery.
Call us today for your free, no-obligation consultation at 651-259-1113.
How Our Burnsville Car Accident Lawyers Help You
Why Choose Us
The time right after a car crash, is extremely difficult. You are dealing with your injuries, pain, and financial problems, while you are likely to be bombarded with paperwork and calls from insurance companies. If you say something that can be used against you, it may cost you the compensation you deserve.
It’s important to get legal assistance, but you need to find an attorney you can trust to take the burden off you and handle your case quickly and efficiently. Here are some reasons why we believe our Burnsville car accident lawyers are your best choice:
- We focus on car accidents and personal injury and will help guide you through the intricate legal processes involved.
- We are available 24/7.
- We win big. Our team has obtained more than $30,000,000 in settlements and verdicts for clients over the past decade.
- Our clients are happy when they choose us, and you can read their client testimonials to prove it.
- You pay no fees unless we are able to recover money for you.
- We provide free consultations and are happy to give advice to help you in any way we can.
When you have our lawyers on your side, we will get to work for you immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss how the car crash happened, determine whether you have a case, and estimate what a fair settlement should be.
- Make sure you get the medical treatment you need and that everything is documented.
- Investigate your case, gathering evidence from photos and videos of the accident scene, skid marks, damage to your vehicle, and police and medical reports.
- Interview witnesses and first responders.
- Hire experts to reconstruct the crash scene and provide testimony as to fault, how your injuries negatively affect your life, and the care you will need into the future.
- Take care of all legal matters, paperwork, filings, and court appearances.
- Handle communications and settlement negotiations with the insurance company and their lawyers.
- Build your case and take it to trial if necessary and present it in front of a judge and jury.
When insurance companies and their attorneys know our experienced Burnsville car accident attorneys are willing to take your case all the way to trial, they are more likely to negotiate in good faith for an optimal settlement.
Find out more about why we are the right choice for your car accident case in your free consultation
Compensation Our Burnsville Car Accident Attorneys May Win
We Fight to Recover all Your Damages
Damages refer to the losses you have due to the accident and also to the award you receive for them. Our Burnsville car accident attorneys can help you win a settlement for both your economic and noneconomic damages.
Economic damages are for monetary costs such as:
- Past and future medical bills, rehabilitative expenses, and continuing care
- Past and future wage loss from being unable to work
- Property damage
- Costs of modifying a home or vehicle, such as for a wheelchair.
Noneconomic damages are for less tangible pain and trauma resulting from the accident that negatively impact your life, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, companionship, and enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Wrongful death.
Minnesota law (statue 65B.51), requires meeting one of the following “thresholds” to qualify for pain and suffering damages:
- Medical bills in excess of $4,000, not including diagnostic X-rays;
- Permanent disfigurement;
- Permanent injury;
- Death; or
- A 60-day disability.
Though noneconomic damages are more complicated to calculate than financial damages, our Burnsville car accident lawyers know what an injured person can reasonably expect, and will negotiate accordingly.
Amounts of Damage Awards
There are a wide range of damage award amounts possible in a successful car accident case, from the thousands to millions of dollars, depending on the individual circumstances of your case and factors that include:
- The extent and permanence of your injuries
- Whether you will require continuing care
- Actual costs of your losses and expenses
- Your age, family situation, and earning capacity
- Lost earnings and whether you will be able to work in the future
- Whether a wrongful death was involved
- Whether there were injuries to any passengers in your vehicle
- The availability of insurance coverage and defendant assets
- The individual jurisdiction, judge, and jury where your case is heard
- The skill and negotiating power of your attorney.
In general, the higher your costs and the more permanent and severe the injury, the higher the settlement. For example, a major brain injury or spinal cord injury that resulted in paralysis and continuing care would be worth more than broken bones that healed.
Our experienced Burnsville car accident attorney will analyze all factors to find the path toward a maximum settlement.
Car Accident Attorneys in Burnsville, MN, Prove Negligence
Proving negligence is essential to winning your case., so our Burnsville car accident attorneys must be able to show that another party, the defendant in the case, was negligent and at fault for causing the accident that injured you. To prove fault legally, we would demonstrate the existence of the following elements:
- Duty — The defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach — The defendant breached that duty by actions or failure to act.
- Cause – This breach was directly related to causing the accident.
- Damages — You suffered damages as a result.
Analyzing fault can be complicated, as there may be multiple parties responsible for the accident. For example, depending on the circumstances, in addition to the driver who hit your car, at-fault parties may be:
- the manufacturer of the car or its parts if these failed
- a road repair company or municipality that left debris on the road
- a bartender who served alcohol to an obviously inebriated customer who drove drunk
- a trucking company, if you were in a crash with a large truck.
Our attorneys will name every potentially liable party in your lawsuit as they all may have insurance or assets that can go toward a settlement.
Car Accident Lawyers in Burnsville, MN, Answer Questions
After a car accident, it’s natural to have questions. While these are best addressed at your free consultation, to get you started here are some answers to questions our Burnsville car accident lawyers are often asked:
Should I Talk to the Insurance Company?
No, the less you say to insurance companies, the better. Insurance companies are not on your side; they are out for profit and want to deny your claim or pay as little as possible. They will use tactics such as trying to get you to admit fault and using your words against you. Even if it is your own insurance company, you don’t have to accept their offer, which is often less than you deserve. Tell the insurance company to talk to your attorney and let us handle all dealings and negotiations.
Are There Time Limits for Filing a Lawsuit?
Yes, there is a statute of limitations, a deadline for filing lawsuits. According to Minnesota statutes (Minnesota Statutes section 541.07), you generally must file your civil lawsuit within two years of the date of the accident. If the accident caused someone’s death, the family or other representative of the deceased person generally must bring a case against the at-fault driver within three years from the date of the person’s death, according to Minnesota’s wrongful death law (Minnesota Statutes section 573.02). The action must be commenced within six years after the act which caused the death.
If you fail to file on time, the courts can refuse to hear your case, so call our Burnsville car accident lawyers as soon as possible.
What if I did Something to Contribute to the Accident?
Minnesota is a comparative fault state, which means that, even if you did something to contribute to the accident, you can collect a settlement as long as you are 50% or less at fault. According to the law (Minnesota Statutes section 604.01), if you are partially at fault, your damages will be reduced by the percentage you are attributed to be at fault. For example, if your case is worth $100,000 but you are 25% at fault for the car accident, our car accident attorneys can still help you recover $75,000.
How Do Minnesota’s No-Fault Insurance Laws Affect My Settlement?
Minnesota’s no-fault state insurance laws mean that regardless of who is at fault for the crash, the injured person’s initial medical bills and wage loss are paid by their own car insurance under Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits. The Minnesota minimums for these benefits are $20,000 for medical bills and a separate $20,000 in wage loss. Wage loss benefits are payable at 85% of gross wages at a maximum of $500 per week.
If you have suffered serious injuries, and your costs exceed $20,000, you can go beyond no-fault and seek additional damages from the at-fault driver’s insurance. That’s when it becomes especially important to hire our experienced Burnsville car accident attorney.
Will I Have to Go to Court?
You do not usually have to go to court. Most car accident claims are resolved through settlement, when both sides agree to an amount before a trial is needed. The settlement process usually involves extensive dialogue between the legal representatives of both the defendants (the at-fault parties) and the plaintiff (the injured person). Settlements still involve significant fact-finding and case-building by our attorneys to show that you have a strong case. If settlement cannot be reached and your case does go to trial, we will make sure you are thoroughly prepared.
What Does a Burnsville Car Accident Attorney Cost?
The good news is that our Burnsville car accident attorneys work on a contingency basis, so it costs nothing to start your case. We receive a payment only if we win a settlement for you, and our fees come out of that settlement. We are confident in the experience and skill of our team, and that is why we don’t charge a fee unless we win.
Our Burnsville car accident attorneys are here to answer all your questions, and will keep you informed through the entire legal process. Call us today to get started.
Call Our Burnsville Car Accident Attorneys for Help
At Tyroler Leonard Injury Law, we will spend as much time as you need to help you understand what happens after you hire us. When you contact us, our Burnsville car accident attorneys will help you determine whether filing a lawsuit is the right course of action and will come up with a plan that is a collaborative relationship where we work together to achieve the best result. We have years of experience helping families seek justice after an accident caused by someone else’s negligence and will fight aggressively for the compensation you deserve. You deserve to have compassionate, experienced representation. You can count on us to be at your side every step of the way.